Wednesday, May 13, 2026

Audience Research

 Audience Research


Primarily 16-25 year old middle and up market audience of people who like to be engaged





AGE:

I will focus on my target audience of 16-25 year olds. Roughly 41% of Gen Z say that loneliness negatively affects their mental health, with 42% reporting social anxiety. As well as this, 33% of young people in the UK feel lonely. In my music video, I want my audience (Gen Z) to resonate with the main character / the artist of the video and to take into consideration the steps and processes of them in regards to being lonely. At the beginning, it will have lots of energy and lots of people who, as the music video goes on, leave to go home, ultimately resulting in the music artist being alone. However, due to the high rates of anxiety and sadness in my target audience, I want my character to feel at peace and comfortable with being left alone. My aim is to allow my target audience to see that someone who they may idolise (a music artist) is comfortable with having moments alone and is able to cherish the moments they have had with people. 

CLASS

I will aim to target an ABC1 demographic where people who are interested in my product are drawn towards the merchandise of the artist which can be promoted on the music website. In my music video I will include activities that can be enjoyed by everyone of all classes which will help engage everyone as it is relatable and activities that my audience partakes in. I could include merchandise that is very popular for the ABC1 (and 16-25 year old) demographic such as vinyls, hoodies and t-shirts as they have had a recent uprise in sales for music artist merchandise.


GENDER

Among young women in Gen Z, 57% reported feelings of persistent sadness or hopefulness. Similar to my point above, I want my audience to understand that it is important to cherish moments that you have with people instead of dwelling on it afterwards. As well as this, there is a male in the friend group featured in my music video, and there is a very common stigma towards men and women being friends and that they can never be 'just' friends, so by him being in this music video allows for the audience to understand that all genders can be friends without there being romantic feelings involved.

INTERESTS

I believe that my audience will be interested in lots of indie movies, especially romantic ones, so I plan on featuring intertextual references to romantic films which my audience will have definitely seen. To solidify this, I asked some people who fit into this demographic if they recognised my potential intertextual references and all of them recognised the movies they were from. As well as this, about 56% of Gen Z adults (18-24) and 74% of teens (13-17) hang out with friends at least once a week and attendance at daytime hangouts / parties has increased by 44% from Gen Z instead of late-night drinking culture which other generations find very popular. With this, I want my music video to include a group of friends (teens and young adults) enjoying a hangout during the day to feed into these statistics and to represent the culture of 16-25 year olds as accurately as possible so it is relatable. My audience are people who want to engage, so by making the music video relatable and interesting to that audience, they would be willing to engage with the music video and putting their interests into it will make this possible.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Rough Drafts

  Sketches of how I want my website to look Very rough storyboard of parts of my music video